Check your order carefully
Overall rating 

Finish 

Durability 

Warranty 

Custom Options 

Price / Value 

Quality 

OK first of all I am an experienced wood worker and have built custom face frame cabinets and am quite particular about my work. That being said we wanted to get some semi-custom made cabinets as my work schedule would not give me the time to build out my own for this part of our house and we wanted something different. We chose Kraftmaid and overall I am happy but wanted to point out some things to consider if you are planning to order or have an order in production.

First of all they are way behind their normal schedule as are many manufacturers. Covid is part of the problem and the fact that everyone has decided to remodel with being kept at home! Luckily our project was not a kitchen but an area in our family room that had an old wet bar area and book shelves above lower cabinets. So we were ok when our Lowes salesmen told us not to expect our cabinets for at least 3 months. In the end it took just under 4 months. Also Kraftmaid contracts with logistics companies to deliver your product and they can range from good to horrible. I felt the packaging for our cabinets (38 cartons so far) was pretty good as far as how KM made the boxes and used materials like styrofoam to cushion them. Out of our entire order no boxes appeared damaged when delivered but one cabinet upon inspection was broken as if it had been dropped in shipping. We had one other cabinet that had a manufacturer defect, one of the rails in the face frame was bowed out and for what we paid that was not acceptable. Overall I was happy with our delivery company as far as the service but they were horrible for communication; they cancelled once and it was hard to find out when we would be rescheduled only to get an automated call telling us they were being delivered the next morning! But the guys with the truck were nice and careful with our boxes.

Overall the finish, that is the stain and top finish (varnish, etc) is really quite good. But it's the little things like excess glue I had to remove, poor fittings on some of the joinery and dove tail joints. But these are "semi custom" and not "custom" cabinets.

So what is the difference? A custom made cabinet is made from scratch, your project measurements are taken each piece is cut and dry fitted, then glued and screwed or whatever and then sanded and the stain and finish are applied. Companies like KM are more of an assembly line process much like a car is built. A computer takes all you measurements and figures out what parts are needed. The parts are usually already stained and finished, they are cut to size for each cabinet by computer run tools and only get to be touched by a human in the assembly process. But the guy building the box is not the one building the face frame or the drawers or doors, different people do that as it moves down the line. And part of the problem with prefinished pieces is the fit. It can be very good or off a bit and if it's off no one takes the time to add filler and sand the joint smooth, that would require re-staining and refinishing it. The KM cabinet face frames on my order all have slight imperfections, the dove tail joint son my drawer boxes are all the type that might come out of a high school wood shop class, they had small gaps or the fitting was rough to the touch. Even my wife remarked that my dove tail joints are far superior; that's because I build them carefully and sand them before applying a finish. Another thing that makes no sense is that they supply only one type of hardware for attaching the cabinets to the walls, bright shiny zinc plated screws. My cabinets are stained black and I have glass front doors so those would really show. But KM does not offer black screws so I will have to get some from one of the big box stores or on line. Silly! For $18,000 I should get screws that match the finish.

One other issue was that one of my cabinets and it's glass shelves was back ordered (as I said they use stock parts to build with) and they won't arrive for another 2 weeks at best. And it would be the second piece I would install so I can't work around it, I have to wait for it to arrive before I can start installing. KM customer service was great when I called to report the 2 damaged cabinets and they set up an order for replacements but the customer service person had no idea when I will get those, maybe in August or September? I just hope they come by Christmas, we will still need to order custom counter tops after that!

So make sure you plan for delays. Have a place you can unbox everything and totally inspect it and store it, really needs to be temperature controlled especially if you get hot humid weather. Hope my review is helpful. And realize that your semi custom cabinets will not be perfect.
C
Was this review helpful to you? 17 0

Comments

Already have an account?

Poll

What is your favorite cabinet brand?

Kitchen Cabinet Information

KitchenCabinetsReviews.com is the best source online for kitchen cabinets reviews. We offer the consumer the ability to leave honest reviews. We have most major brands listed including Kraftmaid, Omega, Cardell, Mid Continent Cabinetry, Thomasville, Merrilat, Welborn, Marsh and many more. One thing is for certain, all of the brands listed on the site manufacture quality kitchen cabinets.

Are you interested in learning about cabinets? We have a learning center that describes different variations of wood that you can buy kitchen cabinets in. We also have a section on how to care for your kitchen cabinets.

We hope that you find the reviews helpful and that your kitchen project works out well.

Poll

What is your favorite cabinet brand?

Kitchen Cabinet Information

KitchenCabinetsReviews.com is the best source online for kitchen cabinets reviews. We offer the consumer the ability to leave honest reviews. We have most major brands listed including Kraftmaid, Omega, Cardell, Mid Continent Cabinetry, Thomasville, Merrilat, Welborn, Marsh and many more. One thing is for certain, all of the brands listed on the site manufacture quality kitchen cabinets.

Are you interested in learning about cabinets? We have a learning center that describes different variations of wood that you can buy kitchen cabinets in. We also have a section on how to care for your kitchen cabinets.

We hope that you find the reviews helpful and that your kitchen project works out well.