(Updated: February 18, 2016)
Overall rating 

Finish 

Durability 

Warranty 

Custom Options 

Price / Value 

Quality 

Never Again. This is what was written by one of your other readers who bought and reviewed their Kraftmaid cabinets. I completely understand that sentiment and will never again order anything from Kraftmaid. I originally decided to buy Kraftmaid because they had one of the only black cabinets that was a bit glossy but not lacquered. Everyone else had some form of gray black or brown and black combination. I will give them 1 star for the fact that my cabinets are completely beautiful. I have to take away the other 4 stars because the company has absolutely no pride in their product or any ability to complete basic customer service needs.

We bought cabinets for a 10 x 10 kitchen and a much smaller washroom. The total cost was about $16K. The first shipment of kitchen cabinets had a return rate of about 50 percent and Kraftmaid sent the wrong type of doors. We checked the order and the doors they sent were ordered correctly on the store’s end. Then of the remaining cabinets and doors about half were turned back due to problems with the finish. Dimples, dents, scuffs, scratches here and there throughout. My kitchen was held up for a further three weeks as the replacements were ordered. Once again, some of those had imperfections that were noticeable. There is also a set of cabinets that were sent with no drawer fronts. These finally came in but we had to put them on ourselves. We would get three shipments for the kitchen before Kraftmaid got it correct. Then, the garage door type hinges for two of the cabinets never worked. The company was quick to say that they had replaced these with a new type of hinge that would work better. This was amusing. Clearly they know that there is a problem with the old hinges but they are still selling them. The Kraftmaid representative for this area said he would come out and bring the new hinges but we have had the store representative call him three times now and he still has yet to contact us even though its been months.

The kitchen and the washroom are within sight of each other and so we wanted the washroom cabinets to match the kitchen cabinets. Round two with Kraftmaid began. Or if we count all the repeated shipments round four. Just as with the first shipment the cabinets and doors that were ordered came beaten up with factory indents, dimples, scuffs and scratches. We re-ordered and the second time we just decided to keep the replacements and put the defects in the top upper corners and just ignore them. Kraftmaid had broken our spirit with regard to re-ordering and holding up the remodeling process.

My thoughts for all of you out there determining who to use when remodeling your kitchen, washroom or bathroom? Find another cabinet maker. Kraftmaid may have once taken pride in their work but their production standards have lowered considerably and they will hold up your project by having to try several times to get it right.
L
Was this review helpful to you? 29 2

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account?
October 25, 2015
Its Laurie again. Please add this update to the review that is above that I just sent in.

Update - We are now putting on the doors, adding the shelves in to the cabinets that are on the wall and putting the two drawer fronts on the kitchen drawers that showed up with no fronts. The two, separately sent, kitchen drawer fronts should have been easy to install with just a couple of screws. However, when we put the first one on and put the level on it the drawer was straight but barely fit. It turns out the top drawer, put on by Kraftmaid at the factory, is sitting at a pretty decent incline. It wasn't as noticeable because it sits right under the granite but with the next drawer front now going below it, the top drawer is definitely on an incline and rubs the "straight" drawer below it. Then the bottom drawer front didn't fit where the L brackets were placed on the drawers to mount the front face. We went back and measured the placement of the brackets and Kraftmaid placed the L brackets a half-inch off between the two drawers.

Yesterday we put up doors on the shelving in the laundry area. The doors had pre-drilled holes for the hinges on some areas and others we had to drill them ourselves even though they were identical 42 inch cabinets. Then we noticed that some of the shelving had holes drilled for them and others did not. It should also be noted that when you order extra single shelving, you still pay a premium for the shelf but instead of actual wood, they are particleboard. It would seem that if they are going to have wood shelving and you order an extra shelf, you should get the same material.

Again, I will give this company a single star because my cabinets look beautiful now that they are up, but this company has a long way to go in the “Pride of Craftsmanship” department. I hope that this review will somehow reach Kraftmaid, and reach the upper echelons of the company. The cabinets are absolutely gorgeous, but the company needs to overhaul their quality control division. With a few more people making sure that things are done with a bit more precision it could all get back on track.
L
Laurie
1 results - showing 1 - 1
Results per page:

Poll

What is your favorite cabinet brand?

Kitchen Cabinet Information

KitchenCabinetsReviews.com is the best source online for kitchen cabinets reviews. We offer the consumer the ability to leave honest reviews. We have most major brands listed including Kraftmaid, Omega, Cardell, Mid Continent Cabinetry, Thomasville, Merrilat, Welborn, Marsh and many more. One thing is for certain, all of the brands listed on the site manufacture quality kitchen cabinets.

Are you interested in learning about cabinets? We have a learning center that describes different variations of wood that you can buy kitchen cabinets in. We also have a section on how to care for your kitchen cabinets.

We hope that you find the reviews helpful and that your kitchen project works out well.

Poll

What is your favorite cabinet brand?

Kitchen Cabinet Information

KitchenCabinetsReviews.com is the best source online for kitchen cabinets reviews. We offer the consumer the ability to leave honest reviews. We have most major brands listed including Kraftmaid, Omega, Cardell, Mid Continent Cabinetry, Thomasville, Merrilat, Welborn, Marsh and many more. One thing is for certain, all of the brands listed on the site manufacture quality kitchen cabinets.

Are you interested in learning about cabinets? We have a learning center that describes different variations of wood that you can buy kitchen cabinets in. We also have a section on how to care for your kitchen cabinets.

We hope that you find the reviews helpful and that your kitchen project works out well.