Review Detail

Kitchen Cabinets
American Woodmark.... A review after ownership for a few years.....
(Updated: February 18, 2016)
Overall rating 

Finish 

Durability 

Warranty 

Custom Options 

Price / Value 

Quality 

American Woodmark "Somerset" come apart at the seams

American Woodmark cabinets come apart at the seams.
I bought my cabinets in 1998, 18 of them, from Home Depot. They look nice, were priced right at the time. Home Depot had to replace doors, sink base, because the wood had a lot of dark blemishes/spots, darker wood grain on them. I felt that I bought the cabinets on how they looked in the store display and in the book, but mine didn't look like that when I received them. That was fine since they sent new parts. We did the work ourselves with no problems. The thing is that after 10 years, I had a single cabinet almost fall off the wall because the "glued" seams just popped loose. Took it down and glued it completely to repair it since there was no remaiming warranty on them, and it's been fine. But now (14 years later),I have to take down 3 wall cabinets that are put together as an upright unit ( to hide a chimney) because the whole front has pulled away from the shelves, and the back seams had come loose as well. Other ones will need repair also. It's a big inconvenience. BUT they still look nice to look at them. If there's ever another time that I need cabinets, I'll look at a different manufacturer.
KS
Was this review helpful to you? 12 1

Comments

Already have an account?

Poll

What is your favorite cabinet brand?

Kitchen Cabinet Information

KitchenCabinetsReviews.com is the best source online for kitchen cabinets reviews. We offer the consumer the ability to leave honest reviews. We have most major brands listed including Kraftmaid, Omega, Cardell, Mid Continent Cabinetry, Thomasville, Merrilat, Welborn, Marsh and many more. One thing is for certain, all of the brands listed on the site manufacture quality kitchen cabinets.

Are you interested in learning about cabinets? We have a learning center that describes different variations of wood that you can buy kitchen cabinets in. We also have a section on how to care for your kitchen cabinets.

We hope that you find the reviews helpful and that your kitchen project works out well.

Poll

What is your favorite cabinet brand?

Kitchen Cabinet Information

KitchenCabinetsReviews.com is the best source online for kitchen cabinets reviews. We offer the consumer the ability to leave honest reviews. We have most major brands listed including Kraftmaid, Omega, Cardell, Mid Continent Cabinetry, Thomasville, Merrilat, Welborn, Marsh and many more. One thing is for certain, all of the brands listed on the site manufacture quality kitchen cabinets.

Are you interested in learning about cabinets? We have a learning center that describes different variations of wood that you can buy kitchen cabinets in. We also have a section on how to care for your kitchen cabinets.

We hope that you find the reviews helpful and that your kitchen project works out well.